When you are going to buy a deer feeder either as a wildlife enthusiast and animal lover or as a hunter, you have to first decide the type of deer feeders you need. There are five different types of deer feeders available and you have to understand their pros and cons so that you can buy the best deer feeder that can suit all your requirements completely. The following is a complete guide that will help you immensely to decide effectively.
- Spin-Cast Feeder – It is the most basic type of feeder and it is one of the bestselling ones. The reason people like it is that it is very easy to refill. There are step ladders on both sides that people and even animals to climb up conveniently. The build quality is tailor-made for heavy duty usage and some of them come with digital controls for multiple feeding in a day. Most of them also have a protective cage to keep the varmint away.
- Tripod Feeder – Tripod feeder is fast becoming popular. All one has to do is place a rugged metal barrel on the top of the tripod with the help of a ladder. It is suitable for flat areas as one has to carry a ladder and place it properly. There is also a quick disconnect motor that acts like a spin casting feeder.
- Hanging Feeder – Hanging feeder is slightly old-fashioned and it is used in areas where there is dense vegetation and there are lots of trees around. Most of them are motorized and some of them have solar panels to power the motor. They are capable of holding the maximum quantity of items to be placed inside it. Most importantly, they are completely varmint proof.
- Gravity Feeder – A gravity feeder is the ultimate solution to all the issues exist with a spin-cast, tripod or hanging feeder. There is no worry of installing batteries or mechanical jamming. It is easy to setup and maintain. It can be totally made up of high-quality plastic. They can also be strapped to trees or dedicated posts as they are extremely lightweight. You can also adjust the height and flow control. It is, therefore, considered to be the most affordable and best deer feeder at present.
- Automatic Feeder – These are quite expensive and difficult to set up. You need to take the help of a professional to set it up. But it is very easy to operate and you can place the feed wherever you like. Most of the automatic feeders come with a bracket to attach to t-posts.